Monday, January 08, 2007

Not for the faint hearted...

Okies....

So I just had to share this mainly cos its probably the most grim thing that's ever happened to me...

On my 2nd day of being in CPT, my mates and myself decided to go to a place called Crystal pools....evidently a really pretty spot by Gordons Bay....so keen to have a great day in the sun, we donned the slops and beach towels, a cooler box of beers and off we went....

On arriving at the venue we realised that somebody had failed to mention to us that this was going to be a hike rather than a mere walk as was previously expected....anyways a bit trepidous but confident that we wouldn't let this spoil our day we started up the trail in slops, shirt off and carrying a 10kilo cooler box....now it was agreed that I would carry the cooler box half way and then I would swop with my mate...

15 minutes into the hike the cooler box was getting a bit heavy so I shifted the weight....unfortunately with the shift I unbalanced myself and slid down the rock I was standing on...at the bottom of the rock there was a number of newly pruned branches that had for some reason beyond me had been cut at a 60 degree angle effectively making them extremely sharp...sadly my foot was on the receiving end and I managed to tear a nice hole the size of a R5 coin in the inner arch...


With blood pouring all over the place, I wrapped my foot in a towel and secured it tightly with my belt...I then had to hike 15 minutes back to the car (which was not a pleasant experience I can tell you)...at the entrance we asked for a first aid kit which was unsprisingly not available...(I mean why would there be ???)..

It took us 45 minutes to find a medicross in Somerset West, another 45 minutes of waiting and then probably the most painful 35 minutes of my life when they had to stitch it all together...

Now im no idiot and i've actually gone on many hike's and if I had known it was going to be a hike I wouldve worn the corect shoe's (as one does)...I just decided to take a chance and paid dearly for it....if we had been a little further on the hike, it would've been a lot harder to get back to the road and with no reception I would've been buggered...I had to leave CPT 2 days later as I couldn't really get around too well and I really didn't want to spoil my mates NYE...Im still on crutches after 2 weeks...

This is no sympathy plea, just an interesting story that I found to be quite an adventure, its not something I would like to do again though...

A lesson well learnt...Never ever go on a hike in slops....(let this pic remind you of what could happen if you decide it may be worth the chance....rather turn around and go home :))

Oh and I wasnt pissed either, I was stone cold sober when this all happened ;)

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ouchy! Ag shame luvie that looks seriously painful. What a way to start a perfectly good holiday.

But you're not alone in your hiking mishaps. I destroyed a perfect pair of sandals hiking up to see a waterfall.

Hope you heal completely and are off the crutches soon

10:29 PM  
Blogger fly said...

Well went to the doc today and he gave me some more meds and these wikd little swab thingies that keep the wound dry.... :o)

So hopefully itll be soon.... ;o)

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how is the foot?
Jam

2:06 AM  
Blogger fly said...

Sore :o) but its getting better...tequila helps...

3:36 AM  
Blogger Champagne Heathen said...

Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow. I also am now scar'ed by that photo!!

I hope your foot is up & jumping in no time!

6:48 AM  
Blogger fly said...

Its getting better :o)

By the end of Jan hopefully i'll be bouncing around...

11:18 PM  
Blogger Champagne Heathen said...

Good!

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home