Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ok....

So I'm going to vent....

I'm driving to work this morning...(I generally leave at around 6:30 to miss the traffic)...and as some may know I try my best to take traffic in my stride...my feeling is to best just get to wherever you want to go in a good mood than let traffic destroy your day...

Anyways, im driving along and I turn onto the Rivonia onramp.....even at 6:50 the traffic is still fairly full so there is no point in rushing...you can only go as fast as the broken truck in front of it all....so all the cars slowly start tidying up into a nice neat line (you have traffic turning onto the onramp from both sides)....one car from the left, one car from the right...you know, even stevens....that is until we encounter prickhead in his new black golf GTI...

Now you see everybody else on the road realises that traffic is traffic and well, its all about queuing really....if you are in front of the person...well then you are in front of the person, its quite a simple concept....prickhead GTI on the other hand tries to and would've succeeded into pushing me off the road and into the verge to get passed ??? ....now normally I would've just submitted (this is a common practice nowadays by BMW and 4x4 drivers) but today I just thought you cheeky bastard, put foot and took my rightful place in the queue....

Now this is where it gets interesting....and this is where the psychology of humans still sometimes eludes me....we are now on the highway and he pulls up next to me, asking or more voicing angrily (I had the windows up and we were doing 100km/h) "what was my problem ??? "...now im sure this would've been a simple thing for prickhead to comprehend....after all he does have a brand new black golf GTI...surely you would need to have a job of some sophistication to earn enough to afford a car like that ??? surely he could've figured out for himself that he was trying to push into the queue and run me off the road !!! .....I just sighed and shook my head....at 6:50 (now) in the morning I really didn't need a conflict...hell I haven't even had my coffee yet...he hovered around for a couple of seconds and then sped off like only a new black golf GTI can...

I'll be honest...it left me a bit shook up...growing up on the east rand quickly teaches you not to mess around with anyone....the smallest blighter can have a bunch of cronies standing around the corner or the most unsuspecting dude will have a reputation of being a rapist and somebody who wont blink twice to stab you in the throat with a beer glass....so I generally try to avoid conflict like the plague....rule number one....if they approach or try to antagonise you , theres generally a reason for it...and most of the time its because the person in question is slightly unbalanced...I mean for fuck sakes, its 6:50 in the morning...who in their right mind wants to fight then ??? anyways...

So then we move along to something that has been on my mind for awhile....and this is the status symbol that cars represent...i.e. if you drive a BMW, 4x4 or a new black golf GTI , you are obviously better than the rest on the road purely because you can afford a "luxury" car...

Now just to clear up some things...I like my car, I own a little Hyundai Atoz (jokes asides :o) ..and its black I might add)...and I love it....it does everything I need a car to do...it has power steering, electric windows, central locking, is incredibly light on fuel and more importantly...its tiny...I spend nearly everyday of my life in traffic, and this car is a traffic car...the gear ratios work well and although its not the fastest car on the planet, it has a fast acceleration and it'll get me to 140 quite comfortably...which for me is all I need....it may not be the prettiest but its a car for fuck sakes and it just needs to get you from A to B effectively...

I've never seen the need to buy a "luxury" vehicle to upgrade my image...I would much rather spend that disposable income saved on gear and toys...stuff that would give me way more pleasure in the long run...that's not to say that I disagree with people owning "luxury" cars....if it turns you on then great...but I personally don't give a fuck whether you drive a Toyota bakkie from 10 years ago or the latest and greatest black golf GTI...really your status symbol is wasted on me...

I appreciate people for who they are not for what they drive....anybody (and prickhead proves this), provided they have enough credit can buy a BMW, 4x4, or new black shiny GTI....these cars do not, and I repeat, do not make you more intelligent...they are just shells with a motor in them...given some are prettier than others but strip them down and they all look the same inside...I know, I studied to be a motor mechanic...

I have a mate that owns a new white shiny 3 series...all his money goes into the car yet he rents a room in a commune ?! ...if that's what turns him on then so be it...but you wont get anymore respect out of me because you own that car....its superficial and in the long run its a material object that can get taken away from you as fast as you got it....afterall....its very rare that unless you purchased the car cash, you actually own it....the bank owns it until then...you miss a payment, guess what, they will take it back...so if you would rather kill yourself with debt just to own a car like that, then thats your baby...

So now why do peeps who drive these cars think that they deserve more respect ??? ....do they think that because they have attained a car like this that they have climbed that little bit higher up the social ladder ??? I find it sad, because at the end of the day its just a misconception being driven by the motor industry...."get this car and you will be seen as this", (even if you can just afford it and live in a shack on the edge of Thembisa....)

For now I'll stick to my little Hyundai Atoz.... :o) she has done me well for the last year and after 2 more years I'll probably buy a little white bakkie (more space is needed for gigs now) and I just may get a 1200...wOOt !!!

P.S. (I do appreciate Lamborghini's, Aston Martin's and Ferrai's, strangely though you dont find these peeps driving like pricks...funny that)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home