Thursday, November 23, 2006

New Studio Pics

I love blogger... :o)

And a lot of the reason is because I can post up my pics without having to go thru the whole FTP routine with my site to upload pics....I can just use the links on other forums and its no mess, no fuss....i should probably use flickr but hey, I want to post on the blog as well... :o)

So heres some new studio pics if anybody is interested....this is my home studio, its fairly modest but...its all mine unlike the studio setup at work which isnt...

Owning a studio is like owning a pet....every once in awhile you have the nightmare of having to clean up (wires become a rats nest after awhile, no clue why as they dont move by themselves)...they tend to grow continually with new bits of gear being added along the way, which means more wires and more thought process needed to get it all to actually work in a symbian relationship...the PCs need to talk to each other, the synths need to talk to the PCs, the controllers need to talk to both the PCs and the synths etc etc....this is probably what I love most about studio's....having to rewire it all once a new piece of kit arrives :oP (a geek I know)

My setup consists of 2 parts...


^^^
A main workstation, most of the tracks get written on this....




^^^
And the live workstation, this is what we use to rehearse and play live on (which needs to be easily taken apart and packed into small little bags so that we can actually gig)...




^^^
Heres the full setup :o)




^^^
These are my babies....


Both are about 25 years old...both are analogue and both make the biggests sounds you can imagine....that little one that looks like a Casio keyboard is called a Yamaha CS01 and is responsible for most of the basslines that went into the early jungle and dnb stuff....its popularity waned a bit when rave kicked in but now that electro is in this little synth is a monster... :o)

The Juno60 (the big one) is my fav....she was born in 1985 and still has the most lush sounds you can imagine...I will never get rid of her ever....now I just needs some more playmates....a Korg Wavestation is one the cards (c1991), a wavetable synth that is just begging me to buy her and then hopefully my gear lust will be curbed...(altho a SH101 and a Moog would be nice to haves)

The synth on the workstation side (I shouldve taken a bigger picture) is a Yamaha PSS680 (my very 1st synth bought in 1996)...she was a cheapy but has an evil FM (frequency modulated) character that I love...she also taught me a lot about synthesis....I circuit bent(basically rewiring the internals) her a couple months back to eek out a little more nastiness...currently she is also a midi controller and strangely gets used more than the other 2... :o)

And thats it....I know some may not find this interesting but this is what rocks my world :o)

2 Comments:

Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Oooo...kid in candy store. So much cool shit to play with. I know asolutely nothing about musci studios but it just looks so much fun. where is the linbe between work & play??

11:20 AM  
Blogger fly said...

When you do stuff you dont want to I guess :o)

But its getting very hard to differentiate...I love my job but spending 8 - 10 hours a day in front of a mixing desk definately saps all the creativeness you hope to have at home...I generally have to force myself to write music, but once im on a roll its fine....its just getting into the mood that i find a bit tough atm...also its a different vibe to working with a band cos you feed off them and them off you...

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home